We are excited to welcome Kristen Robinson to Somerset Place as she shares a charming way to alter a trio of wooden houses.
Witnessing the first sign of spring is an absolute thrill when one lives in an area where the four seasons are regular visitors. Earth’s yearly rebirth is amazing, inspiring, and filled with delight and wonder. This easy project shows you how to layer paint, paper tape, and tiny fabric swatches onto these sweet wooden houses and sprinkle with heartwarming sentiments.
Wood House Shapes
Eco Green Crafts Acrylic Paint – White and Orchid
Cavallini & Co. Decorative Paper Tape – Flora and Fauna
Scraps of felt, lace, and linen
Found flowers or vintage trinkets
Sewing machine (or needle and thread)
1. Paint all houses with a coat of white acrylic paint and set aside to dry.
2. Once the paint is dry, add a strip of tape along the bottom of the large house.
3. Add strips of coordinating tape onto the top of the two smaller houses as well.
4. Dip the end of a paintbrush into the orchid paint and create polka dots around the edge of the large house’s roof.
5. Lightly edge the houses with orchid paint and let dry.
6. Create three stacks of linen and lace.
7. Using either a sewing machine or a needle and thread, stitch a box in the center of each fabric stack, making sure to catch all of the layers.
8. Cut a heart out of the felt and glue it to the top of the large house’s fabric stack.
9. Glue your phrase onto the top of the fabric stacks; glue stacks to the center of the houses.
10. Embellish the houses by adding shading, hatch marks, and found flowers!
Thank you for sharing this wonderful project, Kristen! Kristen has been featured in multiple Stampington publications including Belle Armoire Jewelry, Jewelry Affaire, Somerset Life, and Somerset Workshop. She has also created multiple projects for us that you can find in The Studio, including Glassine Goodie Bags and Boxes of Delight.
To view more of Kristen’s altered projects, please visit her blog at kristenrobinson.typepad.com.
Project and photos by Kristen Robinson
Opening photo by Vanessa Spencer
Posted: Monday, April 9th, 2012 @ 9:18 am
Categories: DIY, Guest Artist, How-To.
Tags: Belle Armoire Jewelry, Guest Artist, Jewelry Affaire, Somerset Life, Somerset Workshop, The Studio.
Subscribe to the comments feed if you like. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.