Please join me in welcoming to our blog, savvy business woman and beloved wife and mother, Tracy Porter. From home décor to fashion, Tracy is the mastermind behind signature, emotionally engaging designs that capture a spirited blend of modern and soulful whimsy. Today she offers a glimpse inside what most inspires her creativity in the design process: authentic countryside living with her husband John, and their four rascally boys.
My Poetic Wanderlust
I’ve lived in the country for most of my life, save a few years in Paris, France and another few in Chicago. It seems my heart strings yearn endlessly for the kaleidoscope of inspiration I find that the country lifestyle offers. I see the poetry in simple things around me — the pod of pregnant seeds ready to drop or the brilliant sunrise that startles me each morning as her golden tones create an exuberant burst from the top of the mountains then fall lazily over the dew covered meadows. My spirit feels free, my senses absurdly awakened. Living a life in the countryside is as unexpected as it is breathtaking, but always inspirational.
My husband, John, and I moved our family from the beautiful Wisconsin countryside to the sunny mountains and meadows of California a few years ago. We were craving a warmer climate and more of a year-round outdoor lifestyle. We have found our geographical heart in the charming Santa Ynez Valley.
We work and live on a small, enchanting ranch that overlooks two wondrous mountain ranges. Each morning, I open my studio doors to take in the views and say my hellos to our small flock of hens, goats and alpaca, some of which can be found lingering on my studio deck — they often pop in for a peek around, too!
My days are spent designing a range of delicious goods, from tableware and bedding, to wall art and luggage. All of my designs are soulful, enchanting and kissed with a bit of Bohemian elegance. I am (I will admit) obsessive about creating designs that are literally a feast for the eyes. It is pure joy for me and my true passion. Being as close to nature’s song as possible allows my soul to sing, stirs my emotions and inspires my desire to explore, evolve, and constantly keep my mind and heart open to the newness that each day brings.
One of my favorite things about having a countryside studio in California is that several times a day I meander outside for an eye-full of goodness. I will often take few liberating moments in our wildflower garden to poke around and a wee sit in the pasture to give our menagerie of critters some treats.
I find inspiration comes in many forms but my beloved countryside seems to provide my senses with an utterly delightful and alluring bit of poetic wanderlust that keeps me endlessly addicted to her whimsy and opulence.
10 Facts that Explain the “Wander” in Wanderlust:
1. I did not go to college. Instead, four days after I graduated from high school I moved to Paris, France, with a plane ticket I had won in a contest. I stayed for nearly two years.
2. I collect words. I have for over twenty years. I find new words all the time. I am constantly looking. I like that word collecting is free and ever inspiring.
3. My willingness to embrace change, evolve and believe in myself are a few of the things that I would point to that have lead to my happiness in life.
4. I have, on various occasions, failed miserably in my career, but I view it as a gift. It’s for sure the hardest and most humbling thing to go through. I am grateful we live in a country that values entrepreneurs and second chances.
5. I love dancing. A good tune can take me away….
6. If I were to book a plane ticket in the next fifteen minutes to a fantasy destination, it would be to Istanbul. I definitely need to go there this year.
7. When I was eighteen years old, I spent two weeks on a Greek Island. No hotel…just the beach and a backpack.
8. I have been married for twenty two years to the loveliest man in the world.
9. One of my very favorite words is “enchanting.” I try everyday to live my life as authentically enchanting as I am able to.
10. I don’t accept things that just are the way they are. I like to challenge conventional thinking on most levels, bringing a different perspective and thought-process.
Thank you so much Tracy for offering a lens into your beautiful, enchanting lifestyle.
To read more about her inspiring journey in turning her passion into a profession, check out Tracy Porter’s feature article in Where Women Create Business Summer 2013.
Share and Enjoy: