I don’t know about you, but after the harsh winter months my skin is extra dry. After running out of lotion following endless applications, I looked online to see if there was anything I could make at home to help moisturize my skin. I found countless articles about lotion bars, and my attention was immediately piqued. They looked so easy to make and customize, and I already had everything I needed in my pantry.
I was surprised how quickly everything came together. The most time I spent was on deciding which mold and container to use for the bars. I have a number of silicon ice cube trays, a collection of lidded tins, and several soap molds, but I decided to keep it simple this time around since it was my first time making these. I made a large bar to keep on the sink in the kitchen, and poured a couple into small containers I can tuck in my purse. And since I can never keep anything simple, I decorated the tins with strips of washi tape and some computer-generated words. These would make such great gifts for coworkers or even to give as stocking stuffers.
I think it’s safe to say I’m in love with lotion bars now. They don’t leave the same greasy residue that lotion does. They’re also so much easier to make than lotion, which requires a few tricky steps. To use, just hold the bar or container in your hand for about 15 seconds to warm everything up, and then rub on your skin.
You Will Need
- 1/3 cup Almond Oil
- 1/3 cup Beeswax Pellets
- 1/3 cup Shea Butter
- Essential Oils
Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and then place the mason jar in a saucepan filled with water. Heat slowly, stirring frequently, until melted. Remove from heat, let cool for a few seconds, and then add your choice of essential oils. I added 10 drops of lemon essential oil, and five drops of rosemary. Add more or less depending on how strong you’d like the scent to me. You can also leave the lotion bars unscented. Stir in the essential oils until fully mixed in.
Pour slowly into your molds and containers. Set aside to cool. My lotion bars were fully set after a couple hours, though I left them overnight to ensure they were completely set.