Stampington Goes to Renegade Craft Fair 2012!

The Renegade Craft Fair was in town last weekend, and I had been crossing the days off my calendar in anticipation. Located at the Los Angeles State Historic Park, this was the 4th annual Renegade in LA. The Renegade Craft Fairs showcase the best in handmade goods from artisans who specialize in indie crafts, and they are always free to attend. This was my 3rd time attending a Renegade show in the past two years, and with each show brings new friends and new discoveries in the crafting world.

Renegade does a consistently amazing job of recruiting vendors with unparalleled talents in sewing, jewelry making, painting, screen printing, illustration, and book binding. The artists are more than happy to chat with you about their crafting endeavors. It’s a treat for me to hear the experiences and education that led them to their current artistic hobby, and, in many cases, jobs.  For some, creating is a full-time job; artists make and distribute handmade goods in Etsy shops, physical store locations, and craft shows across the country. With attractions like live music, demonstrations and workshops, and a variety of fun food truck cuisine, Renegade Craft Fairs appeal to attendees of all ages, interests, and talents.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jenny Smith of Teddy Bear Republic (above). Jenny is an extremely talented seamstress, giving each of her softie creations a distinct personality with every stitch. She’s also a published Stampington artist! You can find her adorable, furry friends in the newest issue of Stuffed.  She shared a booth with friend and fellow creative, Mary, the artist behind Mary Lundquist Illustration. Her hand drawn illustrations are printed on mini notebooks, greeting cards, and tote bags (below). I am officially in love with the bespectacled owl–his glasses are bicycle wheels!

I was thrilled to find Pam Garrison’s booth, decked out in color-coordinating paintings and handmade garlands made with colorful carnival tickets. Pam is an extraordinary painter, art journaler, and hand-lettering pro.  Here she is with her lovely assistant, Kate, in front of Pam’s beautifully painted booth backdrop (above). Her hand-lettered note cards, journals, and prints were artful eye-candy, easily recognizable in Pam’s signature colorful style. Pam has been featured in Art Journaling, Somerset Life, and Somerset Studio. Hop over to her blog to check out her handmade items for yourself.

The vintage-inspired garments in the Sew L.A. booth were absolutely stunning. I admired the handmade dresses and blouses and chatted with Christine Haynes (above), pattern designer, sewing teacher, and author of “Chic & Simple Sewing” (Potter Craft, 2009). Visit her website to check out her retro pattern designs and sign up for one of her classes.

Here are more crafty items that caught my attention: top: sunny Mason jar lids and spools of twine from We Love Citrus; left: succulent terrariums from Handmade by Ella; right: repurposed lamps from Flea Market Rx.

I walked away from Renegade with a couple of awesome items (see opening photo): a screen printed shirt with an image of a bicycle from Urban Octopus, cute Kraft envelopes with a string and button closure from Paper Pastries, mini potpourri-filled mason jars from Pure Palette Scents, and screen printed towels from Sara Selepouchin of Girls Can Tell.

When you have a spare moment, I encourage you to check out their online stores. If you attended any of the Renegade Craft Fairs, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts!

To keep your finger on the pulse of the crafting world, visit our events page here. Happy crafting!

–Elysa Hill, Marketing Communications Manager

Related Posts:

Posted: Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 @ 10:22 am
Categories: About Stampington, Community.
Tags: .
Subscribe to the comments feed if you like. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

16 Responses to “Stampington Goes to Renegade Craft Fair 2012!”

1. Lisa Casler says:

Looks like you had a blast there and the crafts and art, simply wonderful and amazing! Kudo’s to all the artists!

• Elysa says:

I did! Half of the fun is seeing their booth set-ups, they have such gorgeous displays :) Thanks for the kind words, Lisa.

2. Linda says:

Jealous…should have been there to enjoy the fun.

3. Ella says:

I’m jealous ;D I bet you had the best time~ I love craft fairs. I am going to an Art Walk tomorrow night! Can’t wait!

4. Doreen says:

Great Renegade recap! You really captured the essence of the artisans and their crafts.
    Thanks for inviting me along for such a fun mother-daughter bonding experience :)

5. Sandy says:

Looks like a lot of fun stuff, nicely written blog!

6. margaret says:

looks like you had a great time! Thanks for stopping by our booth.

7. MAN I wish I could have gone! What a great time! Great re-cap. Such cute stuff and I want it all!

• Elysa says:

Hi Amy, good to hear from you! Thanks so much – everything was super cute. I’m sure Seattle has some awesome craft fairs as well!

8. Berry Jessup says:

Everything is very open with a clear explanation of the challenges. It was really informative. Your website is extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing!

9. you are my breathing in, I own few blogs and often run out from to brand : (.

10. Reid Berman says:

Fantastic, thanks lots!

11. Shiloh says:

I really enjoy reading your blog. There is one thing I don’t understand. I think that you have a lot of visitors daily but why your website is loading so fast? My website is loading very slowly! What kind of hosting you are using? I heard hostgator is good but its price is quite high for me. Thanks in advance.

12. Top 10 list says:

How about ” You know you are hooked on Turkey Hill iced tea if you drink it year round”. Again is it “ice tea” or “iced tea”?

Gabriela About StampingtonCommunity