We are excited to welcome guest artist Monica Sabolla Gruppo to Somerset Place! Today, she teaches us how to create bright handmade clay tags to tie together your gift bags and packaging projects.
Acrylic paint (red and white)
Heart- shaped rubber stamp
Divine Twine (Cherry)
1. Manipulate the clay for 5 minutes, and then flatten it with a rolling pin. Add texture to the surface by placing it on a textured plastic chopping board.
2. Cut shapes with cookie cutters. Here I opted for a plain, circular shape.
3. Make a hole in the tags with a barbeque skewer.
4. Allow a couple of days for air drying.
5. When completely dry, paint over tags with two coats of red acrylic paint. Dry with a hairdryer.
6. When the red paint is dry, stamp a heart onto tags with white paint. Dry again.
7. Add a piece of Divine Twine to tie the tags to your gifts.
Voilà! Easy peasy, yet eye-catching. You can add one to a peat pot filled with chocolates or a bouquet of flowers, use one to embellish a book wrapped in old maps, or leave it plain, wrapped with Divine Twine. The possibilities are endless!
A big “thank you” to Monica for sharing this stunning project idea with us! Monica has been featured in many Stampington & Company publications, including Somerset Home, Prims, GreenCraft, Artful Blogging, Altered Couture, and Somerset Life. Please visit Monica’s blog The White Bench to see more of her beautiful mixed-media projects.