We’re absolutely elated to welcome mixed-media collage artist Roben-Marie Smith to Somerset Place! Have you been wondering what to do with those old 2012 calendars that seem destined for the trash bin? Follow along with Guest Artist Roben-Marie as she walks you through this delightful upcycled Calendar Tag project idea.
Materials:– Old calendar pages (any year will do as long as you don’t need it anymore!) – Assorted Patterned Washi Tapes (Roben-Marie used Red Ticket with Numbers, Foreign Newspaper, Red Horizontal Line Stripe, and Black Horizontal Line Stripe). – Acrylic Paint – Stencils – Spray Inks – Buttons – Twine and Ribbon – Old Book Pages – Computer Generated Quote – Scissors and Glue – Sewing Machine
1) Using spray ink and stencils, add texture to the base of a tag. Stitch together a few torn strips from an old book.
2) Add white acrylic paint to the tag.
3) Add washi tape to corners of tag and doodle edges with a black pen.
4) Adhere pieces from old calendar pages to front of tag and stitch around the edges.
5) Add more acrylic paint to coordinate with the pieces from the calendar.
6) Glue the stitched book paper piece to the tag, and stitch a heart shape cut from old calendar pages to front.
7) Add ribbon, twine and button to the hole in the top of the tag.
8) If desired, stitch a quote to the back.
We’d like to give a huge “thank you” to Roben-Marie for sharing this wonderful mixed-media project with our blog readers! Roben-Marie Smith has also been featured in a number of Stampington titles including (but not limited to!): Art Journaling, Somerset Life, Artful Blogging, Somerset Studio, GreenCraft, Somerset Memories, Somerset Digital Studio, and Somerset Apprentice.
For additional information and to view more of Roben-Marie’s artwork, please stop by her blog (and say hi!) at: robenmarie.com