When you were still knee-high, did you ever wonder how on earth a message could make its way across the oceans and around the world, nested in a fragile glass bottle and secured only with a piece of cork? Our Shoppe Manager, Vanessa, shows us how we can revisit the imagination of our childhood by creating this vintage bottle project to send to a friend far away or right next door.
- Begin by decorating the box from the Message in a Bottle Kit with patterned paper from the 7gypsies Camden Collection.
- Adhere paper to the box with the matte medium. Seal and protect the paper by painting over it with the medium as well.
- Remove the bubble wrap from inside the box and stuff with excelsior.
- Roll up your letter and tie it with a small piece of Topaz ribbon.
- Carefully drop your letter into the bottle.
- Stamp the “bonjour” greeting from Cavallini & Co.’s Paris Stamp Set onto a ticket.
- Punch a hole in the ticket, and attach it to the neck of the bottle with another piece of ribbon.
- Place the bottle inside of the box and close the lid. Wrap a couple layers of the Smokey Quartz ribbon around the outside, and tie it off with a bow.
For more projects that will inspire you to create handmade sentiments for yourself or a loved one, visit The Studio.
To whom would you send a special message in a bottle? Let us know in the comments below, and we’ll send one lucky winner a Message in a Bottle Kit to make it happen!
Project and photo by Vanessa Spencer
Update: The winner of the Message in a Bottle giveaway is Comment #21, Isabelle! We will be in contact with you about the details of your prize. Thank you to ALL who reached out to us and shared your stories. Your bravery and support for your loved ones is admirable, and we wish you the very best.
*Entries are accepted until 11:59 PM on 9/27/12. Winner will be chosen via random number generator. Contest is open to residents of the U.S.
Posted: Monday, September 10th, 2012 @ 9:45 am
Categories: How-To Project Tutorials.
Tags: DIY, Ephemera.
Subscribe to the comments feed if you like. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.