Become an aspiring printing apprentice using everyday objects in your artwork. Make your own monoprint-style artist papers and turn them into gift wrap or stationery with the Gelli Arts gel plate. The surface of the gelatin plate is very sensitive, making it easy to create an imprint of your own unique design without requiring a printing press.
- Begin by peeling the plastic layers off of the gel plate. Place the plate onto a nonstick craft sheet.
- Squirt acrylic paint onto the plate and spread with a brayer.
- Take desired tools or found objects and impress various designs into the plate.
- Lay a piece of white cardstock on the gel plate and press firmly. Gently peel back the cardstock to reveal your monoprint.
- Once the paint is dry, add strips of patterned tape. Stamp the date onto the cards with the SMASH stamp.
The key to this process is to have fun and experiment with different techniques. You might consider creating additional stamped layers with contrasting colors, or use multiple colors on the plate at a time. In addition to creating greeting cards, you can also use this monoprinting process to design your own fabric, add dimension to a canvas background, customize kitchen placemats, and more. For details on cleaning and storing gel plates, please visit The Shoppe.
Project and Photo by Vanessa Spencer
Posted: Thursday, June 14th, 2012 @ 9:14 am
Categories: How-To Project Tutorials.
Tags: DIY, Note Cards.
Subscribe to the comments feed if you like. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.